Do you have children born after December 31, 1958? You may be able to increase your benefit.

 In APBS Blog

This is called the ‘Child Rearing Provision’: The CPP takes into consideration that caring for young children can mean leaving the work force completely or working part time. If you reduced or did not work at all during those years, you can ask the CPP to exclude that period of time from the calculation of your benefit. The end result would be more pension benefits when you retire.

There are some eligibility requirements you have to meet:

  • You or your spouse/common-law partner received Family Allowance payments or were eligible Canada Child Tax Benefit (even if you do not receive the benefit, and
  • Your earnings were lower because you either stopped working or worked fewer hours to be the primary caregiver of a dependant child under the age of seven who was born after December 31, 1958.

When should you apply for the Child Rearing Provision?

You should apply for the Child Rearing Provision at the same time as you apply for any CPP benefit

What documents do you need to provide?

You will need to provide an original or a certified true copy of your child/children’s birth certificates.

You may also be required to provide proof of the date of entry into Canada for children born outside of the country.

If you want to know more about this, you can access: or you can contact us for more information.

Recent Posts